Oh friends, thank you for your encouraging comments. It makes blogging so worth it. Bless G-d for another amazing day! And Bless G-d for each of you who is reading. And finally Bless G-d because Lyndsey's (Ben's sister) water broke this afternoon (which was early in the morning there)...so our nephew is on his way :) Can't wait to get word of his arrival. Any updates on this would be great!!
Today was an especially hot day (nothing compared to our last trip here), but it was hotter than it has been the past two days, so today was a little harder for some. But we rallied together as community and helped one another up the mountain.
We started the day by heading to Gamala….the city of the zealots. This city is set on top of an incredibly high and steep mountain and we proceeded to climb up it to see the remains of this important Jewish civilization. The zealots were a group of people who loved G-d and loved the text. They were a people who were upset that the world of Rome was corrupting their marriages, children, and religion. The zealots were fierce people who fought till their deaths for their beliefs. We think of zealots in a negative sense most of the time, but really they were doing what they thought was biblical at the time. In Gamala we got to visit a first century synagogue, a synagogue Jesus would have taught in. We had the opportunity to reenact an entire synagogue servicewhich was really cool. For you Riverside folks, we did Mikveh, sat in chief seats, had a hazan who took the bible from the Torah closet as we danced around in joy, heard a reading of the text from the Bema, and had a word from someone in the Moses seat. It was so cool to see much of what we do in our church is centered on what Jesus would have done during his time on earth. We also talked about Jesus teaching in the synagogue in Nazareth. Very interesting stuff there. If you are interested take a look at what the parasah would have been on that day (hint end of Isaiah 60 and beginning of 61).
Finally, we headed to Ceasaria of Phillipi which was considered the capital of Pan worship. This is the location Jesus takes his disciples to in Matthew 16:13-20 & Mark 8: 27-38. Why did he take them here? What is he doing in taking them to this really awful place full of all sorts of horrible acts of idol worship? The answer…to prepare them for what they are about to do, spread the gospel to Asia minor. That is what a good rabbi does…they prepare their talmidium. And that is why our Rabbi Jesus is one amazing Rabbi.
The day was simply amazing. We have learned so much in such a short amount of time. It is so cool to see our community wrestling with this stuff. We miss you all and are praying for you daily.
Isn't he cute...i think this was a self portrait. I am going to keep the camera tomorrow, so maybe we will have some pictures of people.
Spouse Report:
Jack: Joanie is doing amazingly well. She is missing you very much though. Today at breakfast, the first words out of her mouth were I am missing my husband today. She even cried a little. I told her that I had no idea why she would cry over you, just kidding. She is getting quite the tan too. She is wrestling with some tough stuff, but loving this experience.
Linda: Randy is quiet most of the time, but frantically taking notes. His camera isn’t working, so Brian and the rest of us are trying to take pictures for him. His hair still looks great. He had a little stumble today on the mountain, but he says he is doing fine.
Courtney: Thanks for being a loyal commenter. I have told Brian all of your comments so far. He smiles everytime I tell him you wrote and he asks what you said. Today he told me when I asked him if he had showered yet, while we were all doing laundry, he said no, but you know the best thing about me is that I look good even when I haven’t showered. He is SO full of it J He wishes you were here though.
Bill: I love watching Lee’s face as RVL talks. Her eye just light up at all the new stuff she is learning. She is such a trooper. She is running like a deer up the mountain and doing so well.
Beth: Jeff’s world is getting rocked I would say. He is asking great questions and really seeking to understand what is going on. He is always at the front right on RVL’s heels. He too is wrestling with some tough questions, but I do believe he is loving his time here.
Tana: James is doing awesome. He asks great questions and I can see his mind swirling as he tries to understand the text in a deeper way. Physically he is doing well and hiking like a champ. And he somehow seems to always look more put together than the rest of us.
Cathi: Scott, of course, is doing amazing. We are all getting to have great conversations with him, so that is really neat. He does miss you a lot. He said to me today, “Brooke you are wearing blue”…and I said, “so what?” He said, “Cathi always wears blue and I guess I am just looking around to see where she is and I got confused by the blue.” So he is looking for you…I think it feels a lot different not to have you along this time.
15 comments:
All of us at AHUMC are praying for you guys-
please send a hug and a Shema to RVL, McNitzky and Mark Williams!
thanks for being faithful bloggers-
Debbi Chesney
last report when I called Terri was 7 cm about 45 minutes ago. everyone present there and waiting---Macy says he'll come when he's ready.
Thank you, sweet daughter, for your faith in blogging and your faith in telling the story of the trip. I think Ben is especially cute in his self portrait. Love you, miss you.
Brooke - everyone is reading - you are doing such a beautiful job. Some may not respond because they are not sure how, but trust me people are checking in regularly. You and the guys are at the heart of every conversation. I did talk to RCM today and he sd. his ankle is swollen and then got cut off. So....will be praying for that. All of the problems at the church have been solved while you all are away - wait til you see the changes!!! We love you. Linda
Wow, you guys are the topic of our conversations and the prayers on our hearts at AHUMC..I did not know about this blog until Matt Scott told me how to get here while in converstation about your awesome journey...I love it..so much wonderful teaching..and the pictures of you all are super..Bless you for keeping us with you on this journey..we love you and you are never far from our thoughts..Donna Bellamy
Brooke and Ben - Thanks for all the details. God took me to Ezra 7:10 this morning, about how he prepared his heart to seek the Law of the Lord and to do it...just what you shared, Ben, challenging us to to be people of the Text. Thanks for keeping an eye on Caleb and please, someone laugh at Robert's jokes. I think they are so funny!
Caleb, how are those biceps doing? I know you're missing me, so I don't need to cover that. Robert, don't let Caleb cavil on about how uncapacious your room is, and don't put up with his chimerical chicanery. I just wanted to make those points. I love you both and all of you all guys.
Jenni
Oh Brooke, I cannot imagine being where yall are. I really think I would want to drop and kiss the dirt in the places Jesus probably walked. Brian calls every night and tells me as much about the day as he has downloaded for the moment. He is LOVING it all. He said he came home and read the bible and he already felt like it was more alive to him than he ever has! SO COOL! He tells me his version of the day, and then I come here and see it...very fun! I clicked and enlarged the pic of the group at the pan shrine...you can see the faces all in thought and taking it all in. I love it. You all are literally on our hearts and in our conversations daily! Love you Brooke and you are a champ to keep everyone plugged in to the ones we love..which is all of you! :)
I am glad you are getting to appreciate the humor of the usually quiet Brian Garrison:) He is pretty hilarious if you ask me!
Praying for Randys ankle and for Esthers headaches...that they would stay away! Love you girl and congrats to your fam on all the babies :) Very cool.
Okay, first, forgive me that comment was WAY too long. And second, THANKS for the countdown to home! I need that reminder in my life right now!! :)
Brooke Tell Joanie we miss her and are proud of her. jack
ps Brooke what do those big words Jenni wrote mean?
I love this! I am able to sit here in my home and scan your pictures trying to find my honey - and loving it when I spot him! Thanks for the update on James. I miss him so much, but am so excited about the journey (both physically and spiritually) he is on. Thanks for being such a great blogger.
Tana
oh please tell esther i'm soooo sad I missed her call today! I now recognize the number and am keeping my phone near. Lori came into the coffee house and is holding the georges fort down just fine.
I keep double clicking every picture to get a close up of each of your faces...priceless and beautiful.
This is going to make for excellent "coffee shop talk" on wednesday mornings!!!
Service was awesome this morning. John and the youth were tons of fun! I love that you experienced an entire synagogue service like the ones you have been so faithful to walk us through here at home.
I remember many a late nights uploading pics and writing out our entire day in London...without the crazy hikes and heat! Please know how much its appreciated. It's the only thing I here around the loft these days, "have you seen brooke's blog today?"
I really love and miss you so much, Brooke.
Shalom,
Jenny
So, I'm guessing you guys are in for a real treat to be in Israel during Yom Kippor! Day of Atonement!!! Sends chills up and down my spine to think of how God will meet you and if RVL will do a special teaching on that. Keep walking!
Brooke, Ben, Josh, and Joannie,
We miss you all so much last night at Acacia. We had it lat night at the Riedels again. We had sketty, salad, and Jen made really great bread pudding so I hear. I don't like wet bread so I didn't eat any. We thought of you all and Jack picked on Jen since you weren't there Brooke. All the kids put on a show for us...dancing and singing, drumming and playing guitars. They were all so cute. Zane and Kendall spent most of their time in the jeep together. Zane and I went to feed this morning and he asked which one was the boy horse and which one was the girl horse. He said we would call them Ben and Brooke while ya'll were still gone to Iweal (Zane language). We love you all!!
Josh, still praying for the leg. ANd of course the bathroom stories fit our group so well. Joannie, I am so proud of you. I can't wait to see your glowing face when you return!
Well, I was going to write something, but looks like all of our great friends already said it all!! I am really proud of all of you guys, and am really impressed with the blogging. So cool!!!!
Post a Comment