NEW PICS...UPLOADED THIS MORNING.
Alright friends...you are rock star commenters!! Way to go, we are definitely feeling the love. I will share your comments with everyone tomorrow when I see them at breakfast. Well we finally made it to our kibbutz last night at about 10:00pm. That means it had been like 42 hours since we had left home on Wednesday morning. Needless to say it was a long day. But most of us got really good rest last night before we headed out on our first day of hiking and learning (all except for Laura and Joanie who couldn't figure out how to work their air conditioner...but don't worry, problem solved for tonight). We are staying a different kibbutz than originally planned. This one is called Kibbutz Ein Gev. It is very nice. Each of us have a suite with 4 beds, a little kitchenette and a sitting room. Guess it doesn't really matter how nice the room is, since we are getting up at 5:45am and getting home at about 9pm. But every little bit helps when you are walking and working as much as we are.
Our day started with ONE HUGE HIKE. I mean like the monster of hikes. Ben and I had done this hike on our previous trip, but toward the end of the trip when we were more acquainted with the territory. But you would be so proud, everyone did fantastic. Our whole group were had feet like deer as we hiked up and down. At points it was a little scary, but the community was awesome and so encouraging. And guess what we talked about, you Riverside folks should know, The Kingdom of Heaven. People this idea is key to everything that is happening in the bible, I mean everything. Let me just say we have been given so much rich information and textual analysis in this first day, I can't even imagine what is to come. The cool thing is that even though I have been to many of these sites before, I am learning such amazing new stuff. G-d is so good!
After our first hike, we headed out to Korazin, to see a true insula...no not insuline, insula. This is where everyone lived and worked together. Think about the scripture where G-d says my father's house has many rooms and I go to prepare a place for you....this picture of insula is what Jesus is referring to in that passage. Can you imagine sharing space like they did? Makes you wonder why we think we need so much individual space.
Then we ventured to Capernaum to see another synagogue in Jesus' home town. Really cool stuff here too...don't have too much time to go into it. But here's a funny from the trip. Josh Dean went into the bathroom, but they wouldn't let him out before he paid a sheckel. (you see they charge for use of their bathrooms over here). So he was stuck in the toilet...but he finally convinced the man to let him leave to go get his money, and like the good person he is, he came and brought back his toilet money. Can you imagine...oh sorry, didn't make it home because I was trapped in the bathroom :)
Then we had an amazing teaching on what is called Eramos Topos (or something like that) about the use of numbers in the bible, particular in Jesus' parables of feeding the 3,000/5,000. As well as an amazing teaching what Jesus means by my "yoke is easy and my burden is light." Not really what we would have thought it was. All I have to say is our Rabbi Jesus is the MAN...I mean he is freaking brilliant and he knew his text. We didn't actually get off this mountain until after dark, which was intense, but really neat. Then headed back to the kibbutz for dinner, showers, and soon for bed. And trust me we needed to shower...I think our cloths could probably stand on their own at this point. When I took my socks off I had black rings around my ankles from all th
We have been praying for each of you, especially our Riverside family and friends, as well as, our biological families. We are proud that we added one member to our family today. Ben's cousin Elizabeth, had her second baby girl, Greta Ruth this morning. So exciting.
Till tomorrow...keep posting those comments. We miss you and love you all. (and I apologize that this post is not as funny as the previous ones...but my mind is tired and we are all trying to be on our best behavior around RVL).
Personal Notes for Some of the Spouses
Cathi: Scott is doing great, he is loving having the community with him this trip....he sends love to you and the kiddos. BTW the journal I brought on this trip is the one you gave me after Ethan's shower. It has his psalm written in the front. So my friend you are with me in spirit!
Linda: Randy is right up at the front. His knee is holding steady and he is doing a great job. He borrowed my converter for the camera battery, so he must be taking lots of pics
Court: Brian is doing great as well. He is his normal funny self. And hiking like a champ. He is a little stinky though by the end of the day. So hopefully, the laundry detergent Randy bought will help the two of them and their clothes :)
Jenni: I am trying to help keep Robert and Caleb in line, but this is proving to be fairly difficult. I said something to Caleb at dinner tonight and Robert said, oh that is something Jenni would say. They are doing really well.
Jack: Joanie is doing AWESOME!! She had a huge test today as we climbed mount Arbel and she preserved like a champ. I am so proud of her.
Bill: Lee is a fiesty one. She too overcame some of her fears today as we climbed Mount Arbel. Her knees did well. She does want you to check on her international phone if you get a chance, doesn't seem to be working.
This is the mountain we tackled today...doesn't look so bad does it...well you are wrong. It was a tough little jaunt.
But look at the view from the top of the mountain. Isn't it lovely.
That's the sea of Galilee
Yes we are rock climbing.
Josh and Joanie doing awesome.
Scott and Ben listening intenly to a teaching in Korazin.
This is most likely the house Jesus lived in during his time in Capernaum. This would proabably be Peter's mother-in-law's house...look it up in the text.
10 comments:
What a wonderful account of your day! I learn so much through what you share. You and your fellow travelers are in my thoughts and prayers too. I would like to see a picture of YOU on the blog, so I can see how you are doing for myself --and a better one of Ben. Hand the camera to someone else at least once a day for a picture of you and Ben. I love you both! And I miss our daily conversation. (Jasper did not work out, but great feedback.) Tell Joanie she is AWESOME.
Hi friend and way to go to everyone! Brooke, will you do me a favor...tell Brian the doctors appt went fine and the doc said everything looks perfect...I know he knew I was going and dont want him to be distracted or worried for even one second! :) Thanks friend and love the updates! I second that about the camera...we need to see your pretty face as well! Love you all...Brian called and gave the update...said he was in "awe" a lot. Excited for all yall are experiencing together! Maybe we will actually have a group that is ready to live in insula when yall get home!!! Love yall!
Thanks for the update. I hope you aren't getting MY socks dirty :-)It is always such an answer to a prayer when I see your post! Enjoying the trip through your eyes too, but hope to see it for myself some day. Love you guys, be careful, and always keep some sheckels in your sock.
Momma B
Brook, Thanks for the update. Tell Lee to turn her phone off for 30 sec then on and try it. If that doesn't work call 1-916-843-4685 and they should be able to help.
ah, sweet Brooke, I know you are tired - thank you for keeping us with you - love, linda
(and thanks for the rcm updates!!!!)
very impressed with your tired blogging grammer skills..
your dogs have howled twice already in response to your voices and I have been here just one night!
Brooke,
We are reading! Thanks for keeping us up on the trip. Hope you are getting rest! You are an incredible writer!
Laurie and Todd
Brook, you are AMAZING! If I were there I'd be too tired to keep up the blog! Thanks for keeping us close to our Travellers. Give Jeff a hug from home for me and the girls. --Beth
more, more, more!!!! Oh tired one, thank you so much for doing this. I check your blog at least 15x a day...I'm not kidding. I've been reading them to everyone one at "the table." I really love and miss you. I started to cry when you were talking about how much you are already learning. I stole a pic from your blog and put it on mine with a link to your blog. My mom is going to go crazy over this!!! You will love that you kept up with it when the trip is over! Tell everyone hello!
Miss you friends! I know you are a big fan of being over tired, but please keep it up!!
Post a Comment