Friday, August 1, 2008

Pictures of Lake City

Well we made it to Stratford after an 8 hour drive! Ben and I fly out tomorrow for San Antonio. The week was awesome, but we were ready to be home. I am definitely not prepared for the 100+ degree weather we are experiencing here in Texas, nor for getting back to the real world of work and school. It was awesome to hang out with the family and enjoy the beautiful scenery and weather. 

Here are some pics from our trip..


View from our cabin. Isn't it beautiful. Truly rustic...no electricity. Everything was run on propane, including the refigerator. 

One of the many beautiful waterfalls we happened upon. 

Pop doing what he does best...fishing!!


Ben and Lyndsey fishing....Lyndsey caught all the fish!! 

This is one of the pretty hummingbirds outside of our cabin. This is the one that wouldn't let any of the other hummingbirds eat from the feeder. Ben nicknamed her Brooke..ha!!

Ben and I on the front porch of our cabin. 

Ben and I on the Alpine Loop Jeep Ride. Wednesday we went on the jeep tour around the alpine loop. It was about an eight hour jeep ride. It was absolutely magnificant. We drove all the way to the top of the mountain and down the backside. We stopped for lunch in Silverton and then headed back around the mountain towards Lake City. 

Another beautiful waterfall we saw while on the Alpine Loop. 

View from the top of Engineer Pass on the Alpine Loop. 

Another view from the top. 
Lyndsey and Terri in the meadow while on the Alpine Loop. Lyndsey ended up having to go to the emergency room on Wednesday evening because she started having contractions. She is 7 months pregnant. They rushed her via ambulance to Gunnison, where she stayed overnight. They got the contractions under control and she was able to come back Thursday morning. But without cell phone service it was pretty scary because we didn't know what was going on. Richard, Lyndsey's husband, blamed the whole ordeal on me...because I told them I wanted to see sonograms of the baby. At her visit she got the new 4D sonogram, so finally I got to see Little ER. 

Another beautiful waterfall!

Well the Alpine Loop Jeep Ride was beautiful, but also very eventful. First the fuel pump in Pop's 1948 Willy's  jeep went out as we were summitting Engineer Pass (12,000+ ft). So we had to tow them in the jeep we rented. Ben did a great job with that...let's just say it was really scary. As we descended the mountain the jeep worked fine since it didn't need to pump fuel. But once we headed back up the mountain after lunch, we again had to tow the jeep. Then when we were about 15 minutes from home, we got a flat!! Oh what a day!

The boys...Richard and Ben washing dishes. What big help they are. 

Me at the top of the mountain we hiked on the second day. Yes, I am standing next to snow. That is how high it was. So fun!!

Down by the river next to our cabin. Ben and I were looking for cool rocks. 


Ben looking for rocks!! One of his favorite pastimes. 


Macy Moo and Daddy. 

The boys in the jeep. Taylor, Garrett, and Ben. 

Ben helping Macy make smores. We made a campfire our last night and cooked hobo packs...my favorite. Then we made smores. This morning we used the same campfire to make campfire donuts...another one of my favs.

Macy and her fish!! Isn't she so cute. 

Hope you enjoy the pics. There should be more to come in future days!! 
(not sure why things are underlined now...too tired to figure out)

5 comments:

raenette said...

What a Beautiful Place. It looks so peaceful and I so want to go there by myself with JUST Lance.

Meve & Co. said...

Great pictures! It looks like it was a fabulous trip too!
I saw the Snyder sweatshirt in one of the pics--I have quite a few relatives in Snyder.

Anonymous said...

Brooke!!!! i loved the whole thing! How beautiful all of your pictures are. I love that you and ben went rock hunting. You both look good in the mountains!

jewels said...

Great pictures! Beautiful country! And Ben can wash dishes---great news. Mom

Anonymous said...

WOW, the pictures look great. We did have a great time.