Friday, September 5, 2008

The Joys of Horse Ownership

So yesterday evening, I walked outside to see what Ben was doing and I found this...

How can mini horses make so much poop...oh, could it be because we have 3!! Just another one of Ben's collections. Most people would get one mini horse and see how it went...not Ben, he was passionate about having a whole mini heard. 

And no...I didn't offer to help!!

We've started letting the horses graze in the back yard. Here is Leena chowing down on the Bermuda. 
Bandit and Tina enjoy the nice long grass I didn't weed eat when I did yard work this weekend. I ran out of gas!! They really are excellent lawn mowers. 


While I was in Huntsville last weekend, my sweet husband and his friend Chris Church installed lighting on my deck. We have had our deck for almost three years now and have never had any lighting for it. It really was pretty dangerous to tell you the truth since there are stairs and bends everywhere you turn. Our good friend Kathy Cueny even broke one of our Waterford goblets trying to maneuver our deck in the dark!! So in hopes that we won't have any more accidents involving our really expensive crystal or other important things like people's limbs, we decided it was time to bring some light to this joint!! I absolutely love my new lighting. In typical Ben style though, he got the best and brightest lights possible.  Our lighting system pretty much illuminates  the entire acre on the south side of our house. But the good news is, he  installed a dimmer...that's right, we have mood lighting on our deck. If only, I could muster enough energy to get out there and restain it!! Soon. Here are some pics of my deck...one of my favorite parts of our house. 


The upper deck of our deck!! Got that table and chairs for $50 at a garage sale!!


One side of our new lighting system!! 

School is back in session...which means every free moment I have, I am reading. So to make the best of it, I took a glass of wine and my latest reading material out to the deck. And now that I have deck lighting, I can stay out all night. And last night was beautiful, cool with a slight breeze. It's starting to feel like fall (at moments).

7 comments:

jewels said...

Ben is getting in some good practice to build my deck and install mood lighting so I can enjoy the lake even more. Good job, Ben!

Jen Taylor said...

Hopefully he's heard about our "party" this weekend. We'll supply the food, all you need to bring is tools...

Jen Taylor said...

Oh yeah, I'm glad that you got lighting and that Ben wants to have chillren.

Meg McCool said...

And so...how is research with red wine? I hear chocolate is nice with it..does the same rule apply to the Positivists?

Lauren Eastburn said...

If you have to read for class, there's no better way, girlfriend. :) Hope all is well!

Jen Taylor said...

I am liking the new background!!!

Anonymous said...

love the new background...and one of my favorite posts! I always take pictures like your last one! I love those moments!!!