Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Rest of the Story

After a day of cleaning the house and getting ready for my (ben's) mother's visit, Brooke and I drive in to pick up my mom from the airport. Now my mother has been saying it would be great if Brooke would go ahead and have the baby while she was here. "Mom its only been 35 weeks, its not time." I say, thinking its way to early to have this baby. Back to the airport, my mother texted me and says her plane has landed, so we went to the cell phone waiting lot so the stopped car nazi won't have to run us off for loitering by baggage claim. Brooke can't sit still so she has to lean her seat back and put her feet on the dash, heaven forbid she stay awake and talk to me. As her feet touch the dash she says, "OOOOOO, OH! UH OH!"
I calmly answer, "What is it?"
"I think my water just broke!" she says with wide eyes.
With great empathy and support I ask, "Are you sure you didn't pee yourself?"
"Pretty sure." She said unsurely.
I just give her the "are you sure" look?
Then my mom calls, "Mom grab you bags because Brooke says her water just broke." i hang up and we call the doctor and go to get my mom. The doctor says to go to the hospital. Then my dad calls, "Tell you mom you are messing with her."
Sorry Dad we ain't. we pull up to baggage claim where i swiftly grab my mother's luggage and toss it in the back of the suburban. Off we go to the hospital, where all along the way my wife continues, "OOOooooOOo Oh no still coming and no not pee."
we get to the emergency room from the wrong direction, steal a wheel chair and off to Labor and Delivery. This is where the nurse says Brooke is grossly ruptured, meaning her water did break and this baby is comin'. The hours seem like minutes as we wonder what is going to happen and try to notify family. As the contraction get worse I seem (to Brooke) to get less funny. I still believe it was some of my best stuff, but to each his own. from here things blur a bit pacing, waiting, encouraging (because that's my job in this whole thing), pacing some more. at one point Jenn asked me, "why do you keep going out into the hall?"
"I am looking for someone." I say.
"Who?" she asked.
"I don't know, I am hoping I recognize them when I see them."
It was a strange time. not exactly what i expected. I thought during labor you just pushed the whole time, not true, you push three times in a row and then everyone stands around with a simple look on there face for a minute or so before you try again. then there is just this new person in the room, I realize he was in the room before but no one seem to really notice him. Well I guess he was tired of not getting noticed because at 7:20 on Sept 26 Elisha Samuel Blevins made his entrance in all his glory. We see him, Brooke gets to hold him, then its off to the NICU because he is a premie. Now I am left standing in this room with all these people who have seen my wife naked. AWKWARD! "So what did you all think of that?" Apparently my humor was not for them either. soon i am sitting with Eli and he is holding my finger in his hand and sleeping soundly. I talk he listens, I thank G-d for him and put His name upon him. We say the Sh'ma for the first time together. It is an amazing time, the beginning of a new life. The start of our journey together, and I bless G-d for this little man he has given us. Thank you all for the support you have given my family during this time. Soon we will be bringing Eli home and he can begin to take his place in our community. May G-d's hand be on you all.

Tben

This Blog is dedicade to my wife who pushed like a champ. Honey, you are amazing, you did an amazing thing, and you are an amazing mom. I love you very much, and did i say, you are amazing.

5 comments:

Pam said...

What a sweet story. Eli met his dad just as he is. Fun, fun loving and supportive and how precious you blessed him with his name. Love this story. You'll have the best birth story Brooke.

Unknown said...

God bless your new family.
We send you our love and best wishes, Daddy Doug & Mrs Cueny

Tootle Family said...

Oh my gosh...so much excitment in the labor and delivery of sweet Eli (whose name I LOVE). CONGRATULATIONS!!! Please give Brooke lots of hugs from the Tootles!

The Garrison's said...

Oh Ben - this is sweet! Your words are great and your wife and son will look at this and read it over and over and love what you wrote! Cannot wait to meet Eli! Brooke - you are a total and complete rock star! You are awesome!

Brian said...

Congratulations Ben and Brooke. We are so excited for you!
Brian, Andrea and Hudson Cueny