Other titles for this blog could include...
Did you say menagerie? Do you take strays?
You know you live in the country when...
So I arrived home from the gym and grocery store about 8:35am this morning. My car is pretty much on autopilot as I head down Deep Water drive when suddenly my eyes are drawn to the four police cars sitting in front of my abode. Yes, that's right, FOUR police cars were sitting in front of my house. So now my mind starts spinning...is my house on fire, did someone rob me, is someone dead. Seriously, now I am really worked up. As I pull up and start to roll my window down, I realize the police officers are standing in my backyard. So now I am thinking something has happened to my mini horses. So I park the car and head to the backyard and lo and behold there are two full size horses standing in my backyard. And no my mini horses did magically transform into full size ones. There are two additional horses in my yard.
The police officer sees me walking up and starts saying, "we are so sorry mam!" (how polite they are). "yours is the only yard with a fence that will hold these horses." And I am thinking...no it isn't...have you seen the Taylor's, Wilkinson's or Gilbert's yards. Their fences are way better than mine...meaning they were professionally done. Then the police officer continues in his story..."well you see mam, we have been chasing these horses down Spring Branch rd. since 5:30am. We got them into your neighborhood and they headed to your house because they wanted to get into the fence with the mini horses. We tried to shoo them away several times, but they kept coming back. So we decided that we would get them into your fenced yard until we can get a contract cowboy to come."
A contract cowboy...did you really just say you are waiting for a rent-a-cowboy? "Ok, I said, no problem." So I gathered up our mini horses and took them to the other side of their pin to tie them up and get them settled. You know Bandit has a little horse complex, so I wanted to be careful he didn't get into a squirmish with the BIG horses. I stayed outside for a while with the mini horses to make sure they would be okay. Meanwhile back on the ranch, two Comal County Sherriffs were hanging out on the other side of the fence with the big horses. I finally headed in the house around 9:30 to get the long list of things I needed to get done done before heading out for the holidays.
Around 11am, the horses were still in my back yard, so I headed out to check on the status of this rent-a-cowboy. The police officer said he was about 10 minutes away. So I waited outside until the contract cowboy showed up. Well he came walking up with his rope and harness. I am thinking, oh now the pro is here, this will take no time. Yea...an hour and a half later we finally had both horses on the trailer. Let's just say it was quite a feat to get the bridles on and get them led to the trailer. They bucked and fought and rared up. So we finally got them in the trailer. When I turned around, I saw my across the street neighbors watching all of this action from their lawn chairs. All I have to say is...only on the Blevins' menagerie do you get two horses, four cops, a rent-a-cowboy, and neighbors watching from their lawn chairs. (and not to mention the three mini horses standing guard). Ben summed it up best..."we must be meant to have a menagerie, because the animials keep flocking to us"
This is the scene I walked up upon!!
Me trying to round the horses up and out of harms way.
Sheriff Cootnz hanging out with the horses. Poor guy, he had to stay for over 4 hours babysitting these big guys. Then he got whipped around by the paint as we tried to load him in the trailer.
They really are pretty horses. Anybody know who they belong to?
I had to call Ben to tell him about this fun event...he wasn't very happy I called him since he had only gotten a few hours of sleep and I woke him up!!
Look at those beauties! I am glad Ben wasn't home, because we probably would have added two more to our menagerie.
5 comments:
So glad I got to witness some of the ordeal. It was pretty DARN funny.
Jamie, you can start almost any conversation with "Josh/Jamie went to school with ____" or "My mom used to babysit him" or "when my mom worked @ Bulverde Baptist ____ went to Bulverde Baptist".
First of all that is a great fence, and thanks to my boys who helped. second, I said it was conformation that we were suppose to have mini horses because these just came to our house. Conformation!
Tben
okay wait...who is taking the picturs of you!!??? did you make a cop take pics for your blog
So. That is so funny!
OH Brooke...what are the odds!?! That is just funnny...and one of those things that would only happen to yall!! Funny Funny stuff! Great question Meg! When you have a blog...every moment of life begs the question..."is this good blog material?"
Post a Comment