Wednesday, June 6, 2012

We made our annual trek to Red River, NM last week. It was amazing. The weather was beautiful and the forest was lush. It was a nice respite from the Texas heat. We took Eli last year, but he wasn't quite big enough to enjoy the great outdoors. This year though, he was a true outdoorsman. It is obvious that he shares a love of the outdoors with his daddy and mimi. We all had such a great time together hiking, playing in the stream, camping, picnicing, etc. Eli, Ben and Mimi even camped out one night (although Eli didn't end up spending the night because he wanted to come home to sleep with his momma and let's say I wasn't too upset). We did have a great campfire dinner of hamburgers that evening though and Eli helped his daddy start the fire with flint and steel. It was a wonderful opportunity for us to share Red River with our little guy and to see that he enjoyed it just as much as we do...especially for Ben and Mimi who have been coming to Red River their whole lives. It is so neat to share these family traditions and build new ones together. Of course, Pop had a great time too. He gave Eli the new name, little britches--to which Eli promptly replied, "well if I am little britches, then you are big britches." And yes, he did say that full sentence. Seriously, my kid says the wittiest things sometime. It was hard to come home, but Ben leaves for Israel on Saturday and I had to get a bit of work done before he leaves. We will return though--although next time we will be introducing baby girl to Red River too.

 
Handsome fella in the hammock

Big Britches and Little Britches

Ready to go hike Mimi

Here dad, I got some wood for you.

I love my mimi

Geez mom, why are you breathing so hard.

You can do it dad...

Maybe a hug will help you start the fire from flint and steel

The family

Be careful a cow might just fall on your car

Stick em up cowboy

Come on ya'll caving is fun

A guy needs some water after a long hike

2 comments:

Pam said...

O M G I love his little voice. So sweet. Brooke you look great.

jewels said...

What great pictures and what a great experience for him. I love the picture of Big and Little Britches.