Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Baylor or bust???

So I officially got an offer from Baylor last week to be their new Assistant Professor of Secondary Education. This is an amazing opportunity to work at an incredible school with some fantastic people. I loved Baylor while I was there. It felt right. The benefits are great and the people too.

The hard thing is I love my house, my community, and my friends!! I love Spring Branch, TX. I don't want to leave! I want Baylor to be in Spring Branch...but it's not. Which makes me incredibly sad!

The reality is I prayed that God would open and shut doors, that he would make it abundantly clear what we were supposed to do. I prayed that I wouldn't have to make hard decisions, because I am no good at them. While I know God opened the door for us at Baylor, I still don't have the overwhelming sense of peace I had hoped I would. So now it's like I am living on borrowed time...I'm trying not to think of every moment as part of the great countdown, but that is hard to do.

I have grand plans to keep our house, do the Monday commute to Baylor, and come home on the weekends...but that seems fairly daunting at times too. How will we be able to afford two homes? Will that be exhausting for the family? Will that be exhausting for me?

While I am excited about Baylor, because it is an outstanding opportunity, I find it hard to be too joyous because I am leaving my community behind. Frankly, it's just plain hard and I often wonder what God trying to teach us?

So for now I am taking it one day at a time and not trying to get ahead of myself. We'll see how that works.

10 comments:

ahefner said...

Congrats on the opportunity Brooke. I'm sure you'll be shown the way. I'm very proud of you!

jewels said...

"God wants you to know...that there are times when a change in direction is for your highest good. It takes courage to change direction. Choose the path your heart agrees with and walk with your head high and your eyes open. Don't be afraid."

A Facebook friend posted this today, and I thought it was really good. You have some of your mother in you, Brooke, in that I always wanted to keep my home where it was and be somewhere else too. Sometimes that was good, and sometimes that was bad! It will all work out!

Unknown said...

Brooke, I am so incredibly proud of you! You will be an amazing professor, Baylor is very lucky! I know this was a hard decision, but NOTHING ever stays the same, no matter how much we want it to stay just the way it is when it is just the way we want it. But we never know what waits out there for us, maybe something just as amazing. It will be a tremendous adventure and God will hold your hand!!

Lauren Eastburn said...

Brooke - congratulations on being offered this position. You have worked so hard to reach this point in your career, and I am so proud of you. You will make a fabulous professor. What incredibly lucky students you will have! Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you..." God knows exactly where He wants you to be to do His work.

Jen Taylor said...

I don't like this post or any of the comments. I know I am being selfish, but I DO want things to stay the same. I'm just not ready. I love you and your sweet family just way too much.

Meve & Co. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meve & Co. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meve & Co. said...

Yes, I've deleted the last 2 comments...I keep leaving stuff out or making typos. 3rd time is a charm, right?
Congrats Brooke! Hang in there. He will grow you through this decision-making process. Good news...all you really need is Jesus, and He is everywhere!

Megan said...

Dear Brooke,

You know how deeply I love you and you know the Spring Branch community loves you deeply as well. The thing is, the Gospel is to be spread. You are incredibly gifted to be so so good in an institutional environment by the world's standards...but to always be looking out for the greater things God wants to do. I will pray for peace for you, as I have been doing. I learned so much about who God is an what it's like to prepare for leaving the home where we found God...you know its painful but you also know that the body is never dismemebered by the power of the Spirit.
praying for you, love you. from NJ...your meg

Zsofi said...

Oh wow! Congratulations on the job offer! I have been moving around my whole life and in my experience what you have at Riverside is priceless... I will continue to read your blog and try to find out where you are in the journey now. Blessings on you and your family!